Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

UK Gender Markers

See Changing your legal gender in the UK.

You do not need to have had gender reassignment surgery in order to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC), but you need to show that you have lived for two years in the gender you wish your birth certificate to reflect (not currently including non-binary identities). In practice the panel will usually require three or four items of evidence, which might include things like your passport, rent book, wage slips or benefit book if they show that you have been living in your true gender for two years.

You must also provide the Gender Recognition Panel (GRP) with two medical reports to confirm you have or have had gender dysphoria. You will normally be expected to provide one from a registered medical practitioner or psychologist practising in the field of gender dysphoria and one from your regular GP.

The following pages will be of interest to anyone looking to change the gender marker on their various legal documents in the UK.

See Also