Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

UK Name Changes

The United Kingdom has three legally-recognised methods of changing a person’s name in England and Wales, under the provision that the change of name is not for a fraudulent purpose. These methods are:

  • Change of Name By Assumation, which is comprised of just calling yourself whatever you want to be called.
  • Statutory Declaration, comprising the signing of an oath before suitable witnesses as per the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.
  • Deed Poll, comprising of the signing of a statement before witnesses of forsaking the previous name in favour of the new name.

Once a change of name has been made, it is unwise to use your former name as this could in certain circumstances be construed as fraud (if in a situation where financial gain or deception could be construed). It would, however, be extremely unlikely that any action could arise over – for example – forgetting to change an RAC membership card details. However you might find using the card becomes increasingly difficult.

With regards to Gender Identity Clinics (GIC), a change of name by assumation is not acceptable proof of having changed your name, as there is little to no tangible evidence for the change of name. Whilst other means such as bank statements could be used to prove a change of name, it has to be remembered that you might still need something to change these records, such as a Stat Dec or deed poll. Hence, if dealing with a GIC it is advisable to have either a Statutory Declaration or Deed Poll completed to take with you.

If in doubt, use the T-Vox Deed Poll generator to print off a quick, free and legal change of name by Deed Poll to keep yourself covered.


Changing your name in Scotland is slightly different; see Name Changes in Scotland.

See Also