Trans men are transgender or transsexual people who were assigned female at birth (or, in some cases of intersexuality, later after birth) and who feel that this is not an accurate or complete description of themselves. They often have a male gender identity and/or present themselves as men and desire to live in a male gender role. (Others feel more androgynous and/or genderqueer, but such people are not generally referred to as Trans men. They are, however, on the FTM spectrum and may identify as some flavour of FTM.) Some take testosterone to masculinise their bodies, and/or have mastectomy, hysterectomy, metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, urethraplasty, scrotoplasty, vaginectomy, and/or other surgeries performed, while some Trans men do not make any physical changes to their bodies.
Trans men can come from the whole of the female-to-male side of the transgender spectrum, from female-to-male transsexual persons to drag kings (female cross-dressers or transvestites are rarely used designations) who consider themselves Transgender.
Many trans men, however, do not use this particular word to describe themselves. Some prefer to be called simply men, either because their gender change is complete, or because they feel that they have always been men. Others do not consider their gender identity to be the same as that of cisgender men, do not wish to live in a traditional male gender role or have other, individual reasons to prefer a different self-identification. American Boyz, an FTM support organisation in Maryland, previously listed on their website the following self-descriptions for some FTM-spectrum-identified people:
“FTM/F2M (Female-To-Male), Butch, Trans man, Transmasculine, FTV (Female TransVestite), Gender Outlaw, Genderqueer, Transsexual, Drag King, New Man, Boychick, She-Bear, Shapeshifter, Transfag, Tomboy, Passing Woman, Two-Spirit, Amazon, Tranny Boy, Intersex, Female Guy, Tranz, Boss Grrl, Bearded Female, Transgenderist, Sir, Kurami, Hermaphrodite, Questioning”.
Please note that many of these previously listed designations are considered offensive or illegitimate to those Trans men who identify with another self-description, and should not be used unless specifically requested.
The sexual orientations of Trans men are obviously varied. Trans men are as likely to be gay, bisexual/pansexual/omnisexual/queer, or straight as cisgender men.
- Transmasculine passing tips
- List of transmasculine people
- List of transgender-related topics
- List of trangender people
- Transmasculine reading list
- FemaletoMale.org – A female to male transition guide for FTM transsexuals. Browse surgery before and after pictures, find a surgeon, or see photos in the testosterone journal. (New 2012)
- FTM International
- Men’s TS Resources, Australia (previously FTM Australia)
- Loren Cameron – The website of Loren Cameron, FTM photographer and author.
- Transboys.info – The website of two Trans guys, one in the US and one in the UK; filled with useful information.
- ftmtransition.com – Ethan Daniel – Ethan’s website, which documents his transition from female to male.
- Medical Therapy and Health Maintenance for Transgender Men: A Guide For Health Care Providers by R. Nick Gorton MD, Jamie Buth MD, and Dean Spade Esq
- FTM Mentors
- AntiJen – for young Trans folks
- Eli Clare – Disabled Trans writer, speaker, activist, teacher, poet
- S Bear Bergman – Trans performer, speaker, and activist
- Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide – Excellent resource for everything FTM!
- FTM Passing Tips
- FTM Prosthetics.com
- WPATH SOC 7 – The most widespread Standards of Care (SOC) used internationally by professionals working with transsexual, transgender, or gender variant people
- Gender-Neutral Prounoun FAQ
- How to Pee While Standing
- Letters for my Brothers: Transitional Wisdom in Retrospect – An FtM anthology featuring 24 transmale mentors who share the wisdom they’ve gleaned along their transition journeys – featuring Jamison Green, Aaron H Devor, Malcolm Himschoot & Matt Kailey
- Mermaids – for people 19 and under dealing with gender issues
- Michael Dillon – A true pioneer, Michael was the first transman to undergo phalloplasty (1946-49) and author a book of endocrinology and cross-sex transition, Self: A Study in Endocrinology and Ethics (1946)
- QueerTransmen.org – for guys of any embodiment who are attracted to guys. Focuses on sexual health.
- T-Male Binder Exchange Program – free second-hand binders for those who can’t afford to buy them new
- Transguys.com – online magazine for FTM-spectrum folks
- The Transitional Male
- Underworks – FTM Binders
- Trans resources in Polish – Transrodzaj bogactw w Języku polskim
- More Trans resources in Polish – Większa ilość Transrodzaj bogactwa w Języku polskim
- Info hub directing to various trans resources in French – Archive of trans activist events in france, website for gay/bi FTMs, archive of the first french FTM and trans activist forum. Site pointant vers diverses ressources trans: archive d’événements militants trans en france, site web pour garçons trans gay, archives du premier forum ftm et militant français
- Advice on buying a suit
- Transsexual Men’s Successes – American based site listing details of a large number of successful Trans men and what career they do. Very interesting site, although the list is predominantly North American based.