Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

US Gender Markers

In the US, you don’t just “change your gender marker”. Your gender marker is changed on each piece of documentation separately. Each thing comes with its own set of requirements.

  • See US Driving Licenses for information on changing your US driver’s license or state ID.
  • See US Birth Certificates for information on changing your US birth certificate.
  • See US Passports for information on changing your US passport. You do not need to have had any medical intervention and you do not need a doctor’s note to change the sex designation on your US passport.

For information on changing your name, see US Name Changes.

As of June 2013, surgery is no longer required to change your gender marker with Social Security. See GLAAD’s press release and the new guide (PDF) released by the National Centre for Transgender Equality (NCTE).