Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

UK Statutory Declaration

A Statutory Declaration in the United Kingdom is a legal method of changing a persons name. It is usually a lot cheaper than changing name by use of a Deed Poll.

You can either pay a Solicitor to draft your Declaration or create your own using the sample text below.

The fee for doing so is usually around £20-50 depending on where you go, etc.

How Much Will It Cost Me?

The actual fee for the witnessing of the Statutory Declaration is usually at least £5, possibly more.

It is advisable to get certified copies made at the same time as signing your Statutory Declaration. A solictor may charge for this however.

Will My Statutory Declaration Be Accepted?

Most organisations will accept a Statutory Declaration as proof of legal name change. Some may require a Deed Poll, but that is usually rare.

Changing of UK Passports and Driving Licences for example it is perfectly acceptable to use a Statutory Declaration.

It should be noted that the Statutory Declarations Act 1835 makes it illegal for any organisation to refuse to acknowledge any legal name change. Should any organisation (including, but not limited to, Banks, building Societies, Passport Office etc) refuse to acknowledge your name change then they are in breach of UK legislation.

Where Can I Get It Done?

Usually you can just pick up a Yellow Pages/Phonebook and ring a couple of listed solicitors and ask them if they will witness you signing your Statutory Declaration and how much. It is worth ringing a few to get an idea of prices, as it can vary sometimes.

Sample text for a Statutory Declaration

The following is a sample statutory declaration of change of name. It uses fictional names and address. It can be adapted for personal use by replacing JANE MARIE DOE with your full NEW name, and replacing JOHN WILLIAM SMITH with your full OLD name. Be careful not to confuse the old and new names. The address, 27 Fore Street, Carford in the county of Warwickshire, would also have to be altered to your own address.

Everything else must be left exactly as it is. No punctuation should be added or subtracted.

When the names and address in the document have been edited to suit one’s own, the declaration can be taken to a solicitor or commissioner for oaths who will complete the bottom section (DECLARED AT … etc) and will sign it. S/he will then tell you to add your own signature in his or her presence not before.



I, JANE MARIE DOE of 27 Fore Street, Carford, Warwickshire


  1. I absolutely and entirely renounce relinquish and abandon the use of my former Christian names of JOHN WILLIAM and assume adopt and determine to take and use the Christian names of JANE MARIE in substitution for my former Christian names of JOHN WILLIAM.
  2. I absolutely and entirely renounce relinquish and abandon the use of my former surname of SMITH and assume adopt and determine to take and use the surname of DOE in substitution for my former surname of SMITH.
  3. I shall at all times hereafter in all records deeds documents and other writings and in all actions proceedings as well as in all dealings and transactions on all occasions whatsoever use and subscribe the said names of as my names in substitution for my former names of JOHN WILLIAM SMITH so relinquished as aforesaid to the intent that I may hereafter be called known or distinguished not by my former names of JOHN WILLIAM SMITH but by my names of JANE MARIE DOE only.
  4. I authorise and require all persons at all times to designate describe and address me by the adopted names of JANE MARIE DOE
  5. AND I make this solemn Declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Act 1835.

SIGN AND DECLARED AT ________________________

in the County of ___________________

this ____day, the ________ of __________ 20___

Before me ______________

Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths

Stat Dec template for name change of a minor

In the case of a minor, the text is slightly different as it is effectively the parent/legal guardian who is changing the name. This page from Thompson’s Law in Newcastle-upon-Tyne has details of the required changes to the statutory declaration format.

See Also