Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

Name Changes in Scotland

Procedures for changing one’s name in Scotland are a little different than the in rest of the UK.

The easiest way to change your name in Scotland is to visit a sherriff court, or your local lawyer’s office, with a piece of paper, and have them witness you signing it. Use the standard layout for Statutory Declaration and you should be 100% fine. This should cost you less than £5 if you visit a court, including certified copies, or less than £20 if you visit a lawyer, including certified copies.

There is no requirement to register a change of name centrally. This can be done, however, by contacting the General Register Office for Scotland.

See Also

  • SQA – changing your name on your Scottish Qualifications Authority record