Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

Changing HM Revenue & Customs Records

Changing Name And Gender With HM Revenue & Customs

At the same time as writing to the DWP it is advisable to write to HMRC to make sure your tax and National Insurance records are correctly altered to your new name and gender.

If you need to report a legal gender change this can only be done in writing accompanied by the appropriate Gender Recognition Certificate (unless you have elected for the Gender Recognition Panel to directly notify HMRC).

Where Should I Write To?

You should send a letter, along with your Statutory Declaration/Deed Poll and covering letter from your GP/Psychiatrist to your Inspector of Taxes.

You should mark the envelope ‘Private And Confidential’. You should be able to find the address from your employer’s personnel department.

You will need to tell the National Insurance Contributions Office separately about any changes. This can be done by writing to:

HM Revenue & Customs
National Insurance Contributions Office
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Marking the envelope as ‘Private And Confidential’.

Your Income Tax records will always be changed and any further correspondence will always be addressed in your new legal name.

It is advisable to inform your employer prior to doing this to avoid any embarrassing problems arising.