Areas of Advice

  • No categories

The Advice Archive

Change of Legal Sex in Australia

Changing the sex marker on your legal documents is done through your state of birth’s Births, Deaths and Marriages Office.


To change sex legally in the ACT you must be 18 or older, must not be married, must have been born in the ACT and must have had two forms of gender reassignment (e.g. hormones, mastectomy, etc., etc.), which need to be signed off by medical practitioners.

It cost $37.00 to legally change your sex in ACT.

N.B. Those of you who don’t qualify yet: your ACT Driver’s Licence does NOT display your sex, so with a change of name and a masculine photo (if you’re FTM) or a feminine photo (if you’re MTF) you have government issued ID which does not in any way identify you as your birth sex.

See also